Gamepedia was upgraded to MediaWiki version 1.31 on Wednesday November 14th. To learn more about the upgrade and its effects click here.
Game modes are separated into two groups, Singleplayer and Multiplayer.
Singleplayer[edit | edit source]
In single player there are 3 distinct selections
- Story Mode – Story mode is the main meat and bones of the game, it is the action-adventure-rpg-somewhat-4X segment, offering NPCs, missions, town building, farming, diplomacy, and of course, a storyline that you can follow or ignore. This story features a 17X8km world map with many unique character, landscapes, biomes, locations, and over 100 types of potential enemies. Even though we’ve made it seem like a very action oriented game in the trailers, in reality, players can choose to not fight so much as to just plant a farm, make some food, keep the colonists alive, negotiate with the sentient aliens, and defend the perimeter from the local life forms. That can still eventually arrive at the ending. And yes, there is an ending.
- Adventure Mode – This mode is based on a procedural map generated from a seed. Currently, it comes in 256X256m and 512X512m sizes, we’ll try to make this infinite in the future. Players will be able to complete random missions in the mode and eventually be able to setup conditions that they want to play (such as tower defense or attack an alien camp).
- Build Mode – In this mode, there are no enemies and an infinite amount of building material. It also currently comes in 256X256m and 512X512m sizes with a possibility of infinite terrain later. Players will be able to build whatever they want in this mode, including everything in the Creations Editor. Think of this as the perfect testing ground to test everything you build. Or…it’s your place to build your garden without ever worrying about the pesky aliens.
Multiplayer[edit | edit source]
Multiplayer will allow Local Area Network, Hosted, and Online. It will feature several modes but some are still on the drawing board or going through technical trials so the final result is still in flux. Players playing multiplayer should be able to bring at least one of their created objects into multiplayer games, be it a sword, gun, or vehicle.
- Coop – Coop will come in many selections, such as adventure mode, tower defense mode, build mode, etc. The first one to be completed will be build mode, since it’s the easiest for us to do.
- Versus – This mode will allow teams of up to 4 players to battle against 4 players from another team. We are going to try to allow for full terrain manipulation in this mode, but it’s not a given. We are going to have base defense, capture the flag, and something similar to Defense of the Ancients.